November 21, 2009

117. Black Flag: Rise Above


I always associated hardcore with the high school outcasts forming their own thing. (too often, it seems that the outcasts "thing" devolved into its own caste and social system, but I'm not 15 so I don't need to worry about that shit any longer).

Black Flag seems like something new altogether to me; I never really felt like it was hardcore. TV Party was just too obvious. The singer works out at a gym? Isn't that what the "insiders" do? What's up with these shouty, little-too-slow choruses? Lyrics that they seem to be overarticulating. Frat boys in sheep's clothing, it seemed to me (not that there's anything wrong with frat boys).

This is, in my opinion, their best work, and a good microcosm of everything good and bad about them. Positive too simple lyrics (the final chorus using the word "chance" multiple times being the best example). The solid alternating, driving guitar. The shouty chorus. This is Black Flag.

RATING: 64.

No comments:

Post a Comment