March 7, 2009

A brief intro

I started this over on the TENTFORT website, but that site is just not conducive to lists like this, because all the comments were all the fuck over the place.

So instead I am going to, by the end of this year of our lord 2009, listen to and comment upon every song in the Pitchfork 500.

The easy thing to do is roll your eyes and say "Pitchfork? Who the fuck do those kids think they are" and to scoff at their list. And much is scoff-able. But it is a hard thing to put together a list, but I'm glad someone with at least pretend street cred did it (and I trust these guys more than Rolling Stone).

And, for me, 1977 is a beautiful cutoff because, being 5 years old at the time, none of these songs were written before I had a memory of this world.

I am also going to rate all 500 of these here songs. You may think: "How can you rate them? Isn't musical taste subjective?" The answer to that is no. It is not. It is objective. Music that sucks actually does suck. We will discuss later.

If anyone actually deigns to comment on anything here, and convinces me in the comment that I have short-shrifted a song, I reserve the right to completely throw out my prior appraisal and re-rate it.

1 comment:

  1. not conducive by skinny white ass! who the hell want's their comments all in one place anyway?

    hrrrmmmmpphhhh!

    ReplyDelete