October 17, 2009

115. Minor Threat: Minor Threat

Now we're back in my wheelhouse. My favorite (and many's favorite) hardcore band ever, I must've listened to this song 500 or 1000 times. The directive to "play it faster" taken seriously right from the get-go, this rocks through 90 seconds of heart-on-your-sleeve stuff that Ian MacKaye was so damn good at. The lyrics giving the punks a philosophy they could scratch into their school book covers ("pay no mind to us!...").

I've never been a big fan of the thrash choruses (although I'm sure it was fun live). This one at least doesn't devolve into screaming, and the anticipation in the build-up back into the verses makes the change at the chorus more than worth it.

Do you like the blue cover better than the red? I like the blue, but secretly feel like a sellout for it.

RATING: 89.

No comments:

Post a Comment