September 19, 2009

106. Prince: Dirty Mind

I would imagine over the years that many guys watched prince seduce countless women and thought "I'm not sure I get this." And that's how I feel about his music.

I realize that prince turned into a punchline there for a while, with the symbol and stuff, and at the same time represented what happens to an artist when he fights too much with his record label, and of course he didn't deserve to be the butt of jay leno's jokes for too many years, but ... I've been crucified for this, and I've really tried, but at the end of the day, it's just not there.

And I think I know what it is for me, at least in part. I just don't believe that anyone should take their sexuality that seriously, song after song, year after year, decade after decade. It's a bit ridiculous, if you think about it, all that theatrical stroking of the little man. I certainly wouldn't want to be around a person like that, trying to talk about whether iced coffee is actually getting more popular or not, and having him suck on a straw. Enough.

This song is basic synth 101. Verse Verse Verse Bridge Verse Verse winddown. Or something like that. And the 3 chord synth line becomes annoying about 90 seconds into this 4 minute song.

RATING: 47.

No comments:

Post a Comment