September 19, 2009

107. Hall & Oates: I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)

Starts off a lot funkier than you remember, smoother. No one listening to the first 60 seconds would have predicted Hall & Oates. It's a bit of a shame, Hall & Oates seem like a punchline for those of us born in the early 1970s, with John Oates, mute-like-Teller, dancing around a la Andrew Ridgely of Wham, but this makes you step back and respect. The song meanders around a bit in a surprising way, with melodies a sharp above or flat below where you think they're going (like on the multiple variations of the slide on the "nooooo"), they really bring the soul, and there's a fair amount going on, and the Hall & Oates harmonies, whatever their other flaws, are always spot on. (I can do without the upper range tinkly shit, which they should've realized would doom them to easy rock hell, but hindsight is 20/20 I guess)

Can I just admit it and say that I cannot hear this song without thinking of a guy that hates to eat pussy? I Would Do Anything For Love by Meatloaf too. Anyone else? Is it really just me?

RATING: 73 66

No comments:

Post a Comment