March 7, 2009

3. Street Hassle: Lou Reed.

You need to know 3 things about this song. It's Lou Reed. It's 11 minutes. There is LOTS of CELLO.

Everything else is exactly what you'd expect.

The bass is a sloppy but consistent. He's mournfully talk-rapping most of the song, and when he sings the studio effects are in evidence. he's singing about deck-full of stock characters that he and Tom Waits trade off every other weekend. There are several times I'm not entirely sure what instrument is being played.

But then there is more shit. Three separate movements.

and fucking Bruce Springsteen appears out of nowhere on minute 9.

and now here comes the choir in minute 10!

Overall, wow. mostly.

Rating: Who fucking knows. Jesus, I've listened to this song once in my life. Let's go with an 82, but after 10 listens it could be a 60 or a 98.

OK with it: yes. this is the kind of song that even if not for you, the people that think it is a classic will win the argument.

1 comment:

  1. I think that's the whole problem. No one ever listens to this whole song. If you listen to any part it seems great. But the real test is to last through it. I just think it takes too much endurance to pay attention for 11 minutes. If pitchfork thinks that makes me shallow then fine but I need my music to be at least fluctuating to keep me listening or I'm gonna be clicking to the next song. At least I don't have to listen to "Walk on the Wild Side" yet again.

    ReplyDelete