March 10, 2009

33. Roast Fish and Cornbread: Lee Perry

I had to listen to this one twice and really turn up the volume. When I did, I was able to say "yep ... that's definitely a cow."

Later I could say "and a reverbing electronic ding!" And near the end "a spooky organ too!" All on top of a spacey reggae song.

Lots of points for being sonically interesting, but slow reggae that has barely enough going on (other than cows, dings and organs) needs good lyrics and I ... well I can't even find the lyrics on the internet. Google fails. And don't expect this Clevelanders to parse the island accent.

PF500 talks about how crazy and experimental Lee Perry (who i'd never heard of before) is. I'm thinking this is a kind of lifetime achievement award as well.

It is interesting to me that there are apparently "cow" and "no cow" versions of this song.

First, "no cow":



and, of course "cow":



Rating: Cow: 75; No Cow: 65

No comments:

Post a Comment