March 15, 2009

51. Highway to Hell: AC/DC

This marks AC/DC's only appearance in the PF500, which is a sad thing, but probably necessary. All of their great songs have a common sound and structure, so anything more than one would seem redundant. I wouldn't have chosen this one, but I'm OK with it.

I thought PF500 had a nice take on this song, that the song is a homage to the "pursuit of abandon" that is "played like an exercise in rigor." PF500 notes the simple riff, the unadorned drums and how Scott "stays completely in the song's pocket."

I mean, I thought it was a nice take until I listened to it again, this time paying attention to Scott's vocals, which could never ever be described as tight, or rigorous or anything like it. Nice try, PF500.

One more thing on AC/DC: I do think the Bon Scott lovers that don't appreciate Brian Johnson are just silly. Scott was better, but you're splitting hairs here guys. Never has a dead man replacement done so well.

Rating: 77

OK with it: Absolutely

No comments:

Post a Comment