March 20, 2009

69. 8th Wonder: Sugarhill Gang

Where did all the happy, self-assured black nerds go? In the 1980s, some of the greatest athletes in sports were happy, self-assured black nerds. I'm thinking Walter Payton in the Superbowl Shuffle Video; I'm thinking Ozzie Smith's voice; Kirby Puckett; Adrian Dantley. Kurtis Blow and half the guys in the Sugarhill Gang feel like they'd fit right in with that crew. But that's a style that's just gone these days, although maybe Obama's election will bring it back.

I had actually never really listened to this nicely energetic but too long song.

In fact, I had no idea that Busta Rhymes "WOO-HAH ... got them all in check" was ripped off from this song which, in retrospect, kinda lowers my respect for Busta.

If I had watched DJ funktuall's videos, series 1 through 20 (below), I would've known that (fast forward to 2:00 minutes):



RATING 57

No comments:

Post a Comment