March 18, 2009

59. The Records: Starry Eyes

How many songs are there where you heard the cover first?

Downtown Train, by Rod Stewart is one of mine. I remember disliking that song -- it was a Rod Stewart song, of course I disliked it -- but later having to try to convince myself I liked it once I found out it was a Waits song. But, alas, Stewart had ruined it for me forever.

There are many others, some of which I had no idea for years that they were covers:

Tainted Love by Soft Cell.
Take me to the River by the Talking Heads.
Signs by Tesla (unfortunately, I'm not kidding).
Red Red Wine by UB40.

Here's a nice list of covers

Which brings me to the Records. I loved a little-medium band called Too Much Joy who made a little run in the late 1980's and 1990's, covering this Records' song in 1993 (but modifying the lyrics for their own band, fittingly, and in doing so obliquely and briefing telling the stories of when they got arrested for covering 2 Live Crew songs in Florida and got sued by Bozo the Clown).

It's a nice example of late 1970's power pop. But, to me, the Records version is the one that feels like the cover.

Rating: 70.

Here's the cover:

No comments:

Post a Comment