March 7, 2009

5. Brian Eno: 1/1

OK, maybe this atmospheric piece, with a single melodic line on an old piano and other mellotronish instruments in the background is what you're into. that's fine. Maybe it invented new age music. Maybe it belongs in the "top 500 atmospheric new agey pieces of the 20th century." Fuck all if I know. I haven't listened to 500 of them.

I guess Pitchfork, by saying the guide is to "the 500 best songs," (we didn't say rock!) has convinced itself it can include shit like this, but I think it's cheating.

I might actually like it given enough time, but I'm just pissed off. and plus this song is 17 minutes (I'm actually only on minute 11, but I'm hitting "post" right now ... if it changes substantially, I'll let you know)

Rating: fuck pitchfork. give it a 7.

OK with it?: NFW

1 comment:

  1. Maybe they meant the genre "best music to fall asleep to."

    ReplyDelete